Friday, June 20, 2008

Our 1st Visit to the ER

First, I have to say it is a miracle that we haven't had to go to the ER before now. If you know Chloe & Emmi, you know that they are wide open, runners, climbers, jumpers and everything in between! Second, I am thankful & blessed that my children are just across the parking lot in another building during my office hours. On Monday, Emmi took a simple stumble in the preschool building @ church. She had a play tea cup in her hand, and apparently fell on it and cut her lip. It was right in the corner with the cut starting on the outside and going further into her mouth. It was deep. And upon seeing it, I knew we had to go get it checked out. Had I opened her mouth to look at it, I would have KNOWN she needed stitches right then...but I didn't see the inside until we were at the hospital.

I plopped her in the car and we were at the children's ER @ presby within 35 minutes of the accident. Emmi was SO brave. She did not cry at all. I could tell she was nervous, but as long as I told her exactly what was happening, she was ok. Once the doctor looked at it, he said to me, "we are going to have to repair that." He then told me b/c it was on her lip that most of the time they would have to initially papoosa a child of this age in a sheet/straight jacket and then if that doesn’t work we would have to use anesthesia – but since she seemed to cooperate for just his initial examination, we would try it with nothing but talking to her. I felt confident that Emmi would be able to handle it. And would you believe, they were able to put in the 3 stitches without any restraints, crying, screaming, or even moving. She laid there and held my hands and was amazing. The doctor & nurse could NOT believe that she was so compliant and said I had no idea how rare and special she was. They gave her a popcycle and a stuffed bear.

However, it has been the perfect opportunity to get rid of her appy (pacifier). Since she is very reasonable, we told her the doctor said she couldn't have it because it would hurt her lip. Voila she has a blankie now and has slept without her appy since Monday night! David said “for $150 (the ER co-pay) we can help you get rid of your child’s pacifier.”

2 comments:

Sandy said...

After you shared this with us, Ava Grace fell at church on Sunday and cut her lip. Fortunately, no stiches were needed, but Leslie had to calm the nursery workers down (they were very upset over the blood that was on her white outfit!) Anyway, they had already had a paramedic check her out before Leslie got there, but it was all too uncanny given your having JUST told us about Emmi!

Casey said...

Such beautiful girls! I'm glad she is okay.
I have a son "addicted" to his pacifier so I completely understand. :-)

Casey