Yes, you read that right...I just dropped them off for their very last day of Kindergarten. They have had a great year. It is amazing that in less than 9 months they went from knowing the alphabet and phonics to REALLY reading. Emmi is reading on an almost 3rd grade level, and Chloe is not far behind. There are pros & cons to children learning to read. On one hand, it is FUN because I can put Bible verses on the chalkboard and they get excited about reading a "new" verse. It also makes them a little more independent. Now I know that some mothers weep as their children gain independence, I am not one of those mothers. I rejoice as they gain a little independence. It is a beautiful thing and a new beginning of me watching and guiding as they spread their wings. On the other hand, the downside to them learning to read is that nothing is safe anymore. There is an innocence that gets lost once they are able to read because the things that this world has in front of us is not always what a 6-year-old needs to read. As adults, we know what is worth reading, and what is not. We know what to take in and what to ignore. My girls are so eager and ready to see the EVERYTHING. They do not miss a beat. To them all things are to be read and understood. How sad to have to bridle that excitement and explain that not all things are good. Not all things are appropriate. Not all things are in line with our convictions and beliefs. BUT I count it a privilege to do just that. To teach them and guide them in the ways of the Lord.
This picture is their first day of Kindergarten back in August:
And this was today...the LAST day of Kindergarten:
Yesterday was Kindergarten Awards day at school. Each student got an award and the awards were named after candy. Only one student in each class got the specific awards.
I am proud to say that Emmi received the M&M Award...b/c she always does Marvelous & Magnificent Work.
Chloe received the Lifesavers Award...b/c she is always ready and willing to help someone in need.
As I was at the assembly, patiently waiting to hear my girls named, I listened to LOTS of different awards. The Bit O' Honey Award (for the student who is kind to everyone they meet), the Runt Award (for the student who is tiny but has a big heart), the Gummy Worms Award (for the student who is always moving & wiggling). The funny thing was when they introduced the M&M award and said what it was for, I said to myself, "That is Emmi." Sure enough, her picture appeared on the screen and they called her name. And the same thing happened when they introduced the Lifesavers award, I immediately thought, "This will be Chloe." Funny that out of the 30+ awards given, I knew immediately which ones my girls would get. Of course ALL awards are wonderful, but we were particularly proud of the ones that our girls received.
The only other notable thing about the awards day was at the end of the assembly. ALL the Kindergarten students (about 175 kids) stood and faced the parents. It was great because my Chloe was standing a head taller than them all. I could see her full & clear...and she saw me. There was only one other boy that was close to her height. I love it! I fully expect her to be 6 feet tall. She is going to be a dominating force of strength (she already is), standing above most everyone (she will be taller than me in a year), full of love, with a big heart to embrace those around her. Below is a really bad picture I took of this moment with my phone (yes, I *gasp* forgot my camera), but I wanted to have the picture to remind of the smile I got when I could see her standing tall -- Can you find her?. And no, I could not see Emmi at all. Even though she is tall for her age, she still blended in the sea of 6-year-olds.
First grade, here we come.



2 comments:
Seems like just yesterday I had their baby pictures on the wall of my cubicle in Atlanta... so much has changed for all of us since then! So proud of your sweet girls! We love you, Chloe and Emmi (or as Ava says, "Loe and Chlemmi" :)
i am so proud of those girls! i am excited that i get to watch them grow and learn. we've got to get together more often so that all of these cousins can spend more time together!
Post a Comment